Daniel and his three friends (Rack, Shack, and Benny) were removed from their homes and made to live as exiles in a foreign land. Their names were changed but their commitment to God remained steadfast, and as a result they changed the nation that set out to change them. Join us for week 4 of What’s in a Name as we discuss our commitment to be a church that is for Christ, for the city, for good.
Effect change where you can. (Daniel 1)
Three things Christians can do to effect change:
- Be wise. (Colossians 4:5-6)
- Be gentle and respectful. (1 Peter 3:15-16)
- Ask, seek, and knock. (Matthew 7:7)
Stand up when you must. (Daniel 3)The world tries to assimilate you into public culture by making you privatize your faith.
Trust God with everything. (Daniel 6)
Prayerfully consider the answers to these questions:
- Where can you (we) make a difference right now?
- Where do you (we) need to stand up for justice, righteousness, mercy, and peace?
- How can you (we) increase your (our) faith in God so that you (we) will be able to stand out in the world?
This week we continue reading through the book of Isaiah. As you read, pay attention to the names . . . names of God, names used to describe God’s people, names given to Isaiah’s children, and names that will be used for Jesus.
Day 1: Isaiah 29
Day 2: Isaiah 30
Day 3: Isaiah 31-32
Day 4: Isaiah 33
Day 5: Isaiah 34
Day 6: Isaiah 35
Day 7: Isaiah 36
The Pursuit of God, by A.W. Tozer
The Pursuit of Man, by A.W. Tozer
The Gift of Imperfection, by Brené Brown
Identity: Who You Are in Christ, by Eric Geiger
Center Church, by Tim Keller
Other sermons at ssbc.org:
For the City (August 2019)