Memorials align us to something greater than ourselves.
What in your life aligns you to something greater than yourself?
Do you have too many memorials?
Do you attribute greatness to the memorial?
Do you see yourself in the memorial?
Today’s message focused on the memorial created by the Israelites when they crossed the Jordan. However, this came shortly after a message from Moses about a series of memorials that exist to point you towards the one true God. Read the following portions of this message from Moses and question the purpose and use of memorials in your life.
- Day 1: Deuteronomy 8
- Day 2: Deuteronomy 9
- Day 3: Deuteronomy 10
- Day 4: Deuteronomy 11
- Day 5: Deuteronomy 12
- Day 6: Deuteronomy 13
- Day 7: Deuteronomy 16
Check out these and other suggested books at https://bit.ly/AspireSMB
The Jesus I Never Knew, Philip Yancy
What’s So Amazing About Grace, Philip Yancy
The Hole in Our Gospel, Richard Stearns
How to Be Rich, Andy Stanley
Small Group Questions
Use this outline for personal reflection, as a couples or family devotion, or with a small group.
HANGOUT [Warming Up to the Topic]
- What rites and rituals have you ever participated in? Why do we have these rituals?
HEAR [Listening to God through Scripture]
- Read Hebrews 9:23-24
- The first readers of this epistle were having a difficult time letting go of the physicality of the temple and the sacrifices. Why do you feel this was so difficult for early Christians?
- Was there anything wrong with 1st century Christians participating in temple rituals?
- Have you ever made worship of God simply a religious act? What is the danger of doing this?
- How do you keep your worship of God active?
- Read Hebrews 9:25-28
- Time did not end when Christ died. What do you believe the author of Hebrews means when he states, “He has appeared once for all at the end of the ages?”
- Why does Paul highlight that “Christ put away sin” in verse 26? How does this differ from his description of Christ bearing the “sins of many” in verse 28? Read 2 Corinthians 5:18-21.
- Why is it crucial for Christians to stress the importance of the cross as the end of the ages?
- How do you routinely remember the event of the cross?
HUDDLE [Making It Personal and Praying Together – in Huddles]
- Are there rituals in your life that are hindrances to your worship of God? Have you based your salvation on anything other than what Jesus did on the cross?